Monday, November 3, 2008

Alumni Profile: Eiyad al-Kutubi

Recent DSPT graduate, Eiyad al-Kutubi (who goes by David) was a physician who found his real passion in philosophy. He is an active member of the Fatimyah Islamic Center in Hayward and frequently gives talks there for their Thursday night community gatherings. He came to DSPT because it gave him the opportunity to put Muslim and Christian philosophers in dialogue. His thesis, Mulla Sadra's Theory of Substantial Motion, discussed the theological implications of the theory of substantial motion for the idea of bodily resurrection. Mulla Sadra was a 15th-century Muslim philosopher who is popular for his works reviving ancient philosophy, similar to the work done by St. Thomas Aquinas. Currently, he is looking for a PhD program in philosophy that will allow him to continue to study the writings of Mulla Sadra. He reports:

DSPT offered me the opportunity to study classic and medieval philosophy, something that I could not find anywhere else in California. When Sr. Marianne Farina introduced me to the faculty and mission of DSPT, I realized that it was just what I was looking for. Having finished my Master’s, I am completely convinced that this was the right choice. The professors are open-minded, knowledgeable, and excel in their skill of articulating and communicating difficult questions in philosophy to their students. I hope to keep the good relationship that I have with DSPT for years to come.