Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ordination to the Priesthood

“Accept from the holy people of God these gifts to be offered to him. Know what you are doing, imitate the mystery you celebrate: model your life on the mystery of the Lord’s cross.”

On May 30, two of the Dominican brothers, Rev. Br. Raphael Mary Salzillo, OP and Rev. Br. Peter Hoang Do, OP, will be ordained to the priesthood in the Rite of Presbyteral Ordination. For the brother it is a moment that rings both profound and terrifying! He is now – and for the rest of his life – to be the steward of the gifts given by God’s holy people. More frighteningly, he is charged with “knowing what he is doing.” But how will this ever be possible if the very essence of what he is to accomplish is itself wrapped up in mystery! Thankfully, through this Rite of Ordination the bishop provides the answer: It is only through acting in persona Christi, that is to say by modeling his life on the Lord’s cross, that the priest will ever hope to “know what he is doing.”

Much like a symphony, this Rite has several movements – each expressive of a different aspect of priesthood. The climax comes in a two-fold action: when the bishop invokes the power of the Holy Spirit upon the one to be ordained and lays his hands upon the candidate, acting out the ancient tradition first performed by the apostles upon the earliest members of the Church. After this formal act, the bishop then performs several “secondary acts” which describe in a symbolic way what the newly ordained priest must understand about himself and his life. Being drawn more deeply into the image and likeness of Christ (in persona Christi), the new priest has his hands anointed with sacred chrism. Next, the gifts for Mass are brought forward – a paten of bread and a chalice. Once they have been prepared by the deacon, they are given to the bishop who in turn hands them to the priest (who is once again kneeling before the bishop) saying, “Accept from the holy people of God these gifts to be offered to him. Know what you are doing, imitate the mystery you celebrate: model your life on the mystery of the Lord’s cross”. As we join in the celebration of this wonderful moment in the life of the Church, let us, too, pray that these men enter fully into that deep mystery to which they have been called by Jesus Christ in the service of his holy people.

Rev. Br. Raphael Mary Salzillo, OP

I was born in Eugene, Oregon in 1976 and spent most of my life in a small town called Florence just an hour west of Eugene on the coast. My family raised me with a strong Christian faith and a very clear sense that Christ should be the most important thing in my life. Through the influence of my mother (who was actually raised fundamentalist) my family became Catholic in 1991, when I was about fifteen. I was old enough to know clearly what I was doing, and to choose to be Catholic, but my faith nevertheless remained very Protestant and generic so to speak. I was not fully open to the truth that the Catholic Faith has to offer. At sixteen, I had a spiritual experience in Mass that gave me the very strong feeling that God was calling me to the priesthood or religious life (at that time I didn't know the difference). This was something I was not open to at the time and so I put a good deal of time and energy into convincing myself that it was my imagination (never fully succeeding). I went to college at Caltech in Pasadena, earning a Bachelor’s degree in applied physics. Then I went on to graduate school in that field, although I wasn't really sure if that was what God wanted for me. I enjoyed graduate school very much and it was there that the Lord started to work on me to bring me into the center of His Church, and make my vocation clear to me. I wrestled for several years with my Cafeteria Catholicism. I believed very strongly (as many do today) that my own intellect and judgment should be the ultimate criteria for what I would and would not believe. It was later that I learned that the word heresy comes from the Greek word to choose. I wanted to choose my own religion rather than accepting the Catholic one as a coherent whole. In a way, choice had become a God for me, as it has to so many in our society. It was through my study of Church History and theology and through a deepening prayer life that my own intellect and judgment finally brought me to the conclusion that they alone could not get me what I yearned for. On my own I could not know religious truth with certainty and could never have more than an egocentric personal (and seemingly very subjective) confidence in the truth of my beliefs. It should have been no wonder to me to discover this since God would not have needed to reveal Himself to us had we the ability to derive divine truth on our own! That is why He gave us the Bible and established His Church, so that we might know the essential truths of the faith with certainty. It was through submission of my power of choice in matters of faith that I came to know Jesus Christ in a much deeper way. The final part of my faith that I finally accepted (though not without a fight) was Mary, the Mother of God. Having been raised Protestant, and mildly anti-Catholic, it was a hurdle just for me to accept the Church's teaching on Mary's maternal intercession. Taking it to heart and making Mary a part of my life was something else altogether! And yet, eventually I did, and that (more than anything else in my life, save the Holy Eucharist) taught me to love Jesus. It was Mary who brought me to finally accept my vocation, and it has been her that has sustained me in this life for the past few years, with all its joys and challenges. As a wise priest once told me, when we say Hail Mary she says Hail Jesus and she can say it quite a bit better than we can! Once I knew that God was calling me to a religious vocation and started doing research on different orders, the Dominicans with their emphasis on doctrinal preaching and study, as well as their strong community life with a streak of monasticism appealed to me immediately. After spending a year checking out other orders, and doing a lot of discernment with a spiritual director, I finally became confident that this is where God wanted me. And all I can say is that His grace has gotten me this far, so I continue to trust.

Rev. Br. Peter Hoang Do, OP

I was born in 1977 in a small town about fifty miles south of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. In 1985, my father and I escaped from Vietnam on boat and landed in Malaysia. We lived in the Philippines and in Malaysia for a year, before we were able to come to the U.S. and live with my uncle in Portland, Oregon. I went to college at Portland State University in 1995. After graduation, I went to the University of Utah for graduate studies. It was here that I met the friars of the Western Dominican Province. I was drawn to the Dominican life with its contemplative and active dimensions, and the focus on study, community, prayer, and preaching.