Friday, September 11, 2009

Alumni Profile: Fred Rodriguez, BA Philosophy (2002); MA Theology, (2004)

My coming to the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology seemed to be driven by outside influences rather than a personal choice in selecting schools at the Graduate Theological Union. You see, if there is any truth to the following, then, God certainly has a sense of humor!

In the mid-90s, I had received a letter in the mail from the DSPT thanking me for my interest in considering their school as a possible choice of schools in the Bay Area. First off, who and what was the DSPT, and how in the Good Lord’s name did they get my address way out here in the Pacific on a tiny island called Guam?

After several weeks of passing this most unusual letter around to friends and family, I finally ran it by a friend of mine who happens to be a priest. Of course, this priest had other ideas of how the letter got into my hands—“God is talking to you!” he said laughing. He also suggested it was my vocational calling to consider the religious life. That somehow did not seem like the road I was supposed to be on.

It was a year before I finally considered the school as a choice to complete my bachelor’s in philosophy. And, at last, the culprit behind the letter showed his face. It was my cousin Vince Cruz who was visiting the GTU and who had, as a sort of friendly boost, decided to visit the DSPT and personally requested information and catalogs be sent to me. That prompted a DSPT student to write me a personal note of why the school would be a fine option when considering the bachelor’s in philosophy.

My graduation from DSPT did not end with a bachelor’s in philosophy. My journey culminated into a master’s in theology. These two specific disciplines were somehow not what I thought I’d be studying if I had it my way. It was my good friend Therese A. Matanane who said I should go back to school and even argued, “What have I got to lose from applying?” That positive push sent me to a community where I would find my place in the field of critical thinking.

After graduating from the DSPT, and finally accepting the fact that I have found a family away from home at the DSPT, I was convinced that God did in fact have His hand in my life. Even after all that was said and done, I am writing this profile with a smile because He certainly put me where He wants me.

In the Summer of 2005 I was working as the Archdiocesan Director of Faith Formation in Guam and another priest friend of mine, Fr. Mike Crisostomo, thought it would be a good thing to have a radio show where we could catechize on the air. That was the beginning of our popular radio program, “Why Do Catholics Do That?” Now in 2009, my good friend Therese and I teamed up to put our gifts and talents together. She, with her degree in motion pictures, and I, with my degrees in philosophy and theology, now have a Catholic Television show called, “Catholics on the Move.” I borrowed the title from my good friend Fr. Joseph Boenzi who taught a course at the DSPT called, “Church on the Move”. We are now entering our fourth season and still growing strong. My education in both these disciplines have given me the tools to create content and programming for our faithful viewers who loyally follow the show on two islands: Guam and Saipan.

If I were to believe that I did this on my own, I would not be telling the truth. The fact of the matter is, God has a plan for us and he has me doing his will. The Parable of the Three Talents tells the story very well. Obviously, I refuse to be the servant who buried his lord’s money. I was given a talent, and through my study of philosophy and theology, am now bringing the Good News to folks throughout the Mariana Islands. Incidentally, the DSPT’s motto “Deus Providebit” will speak volumes when you allow God to use your mind, soul and body to do His Will.