Thursday, October 8, 2009

Alumni Profile: Carla Zilaff, MA Theology, 2009

Carla Zilaff, MA Theology, 2009
Campus Minister at St. Catherine of Siena Newman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah

While living in Eugene, OR for five years I had the pleasure of meeting many Dominican priests and brothers who had received their education from the DSPT. They were a constant example to the community at the Newman Center in Eugene of the quality education that one receives at the DSPT.

When looking at various masters programs in theology, I chose the DSPT because of the solid theological and philosophical foundations that the school provides. In addition, I appreciated the small school atmosphere with the support of a larger institution (the GTU) next to a major university (UC Berkeley). Overall, it is a well-rounded education which equips students for various career and education goals after leaving the DSPT.

I am now the Campus Minister at the (Dominican run) Newman Center in Salt Lake City which ministers to the University of Utah, Westminster College, and Salt Lake Community College. Being a Catholic in Utah is a constant challenge for our students who often come to the Newman Center searching for answers. All aspects of my education at the DSPT are tested and utilized in my work at the Newman Center and I am constantly thankful for the education I received.