Thursday, January 7, 2010

Current Student Profile, Br. Justin Charles Gable, OP

I was born and raised in Orange County, California. God has blessed me with two loving, faith-filled parents and an older sister who continues to be my closest friend. My high school years found me seriously questioning my beliefs, but through the guidance of the Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael’s Abbey, I became convinced of the powerful truth of the Faith and returned to the Catholic Church. I attended the University of San Francisco, first majoring in physics and then, after discovering the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas, in philosophy. I continued my study of philosophy at Fordham University in New York City, earning a master’s degree and doctorate. I made my first profession of vows as a Dominican brother this past September.

I am currently working toward a concurrent Master’s Degree in Theology and Divinity at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, taking advantage of the School’s excellent academic and pastoral courses in preparation for ordination to the priesthood. I continue to be passionately interested in philosophy and the thought of St. Thomas Aquinas. These interests are fostered at the Dominican School, whose faculty understands the importance of St. Thomas’ rich synthesis of faith and reason and actively fosters ongoing dialogue between the Faith of the Church and modern and contemporary thought. It is my privilege to be a student at the Dominican School, and I am proud to be part of its extraordinary mission of cultivating the great intellectual riches of our Catholic Faith for the transformation of the modern world. I hope to teach both philosophy and theology after ordination, perhaps at the Dominican School itself!