Friday, November 13, 2009

Current Student Profile: Jacob Washabaugh

I come from a small farm town in the western part of the Sacramento Valley. A few years after high school I joined the United States Navy as a communications electrician, and was honorably discharged after four years of service on a guided missile frigate. Shortly after my military service I began work as a union electrician, but I was not satisfied with this profession. I wanted to do something that would have a positive impact on others. At the age of twenty-six, i decided to leave the trades and a good paying job, and return to school in the hope of earning my PH.D in order to teach at the university level. I'm the first person in my family to recieve a college degree, and i am currentlypursuing my M.A. in Philosophy at the DSPT. When I was looking into Master's Programs, it was important that I find a school that bases its appraoch to learning on Catholics principles, and a school that approaches modern ideas and problems with the philospcial and theoligical ideas of of the Catholic faith. I believe I've found that at the DSPT. Every clas I have in opened with an invocation, and there is an oncampus Mass where students come together in communion with Christ every Tuesday. We are taught by devout and academically accomplished Domincans who desire to help their students in the pursuit of truth. I really enjoy the small class size, and tha small campus whicvh gives the school a real sense of community. It really is a great academic environment. I enjoy, and value, my time in class as well as outside of class. DSPT was an excellent choice for higher education and I look forward to the coming semesters.